There’s nothing better than a nice bowl of soup on a crisp fall day. Make yourself a pot of this French Onion Soup, curl up on the couch, pop in a movie and RELAX! This is my own personal recipe that I developed after testing many others.
And the best part … It’s EASY!!
5 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
2 sweet onions, sliced thin
2 red onions, sliced thin
1 32 oz. carton low sodium beef broth
1 32 oz. carton low sodium chicken broth
2/3 cup red wine
2 tablespoons low sodium Worcestershire sauce
3 sprigs fresh parsley
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1 whole garlic clove
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
4 slices french bread
8 slices provolone cheese
4 slices Swiss cheese
1. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add olive oil, onions and salt. Cook until onions are translucent and tender.
2. Add chicken broth, beef broth, red wine, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, thyme, garlic and bay leaf to the onions. Simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes. Reduce heat and add balsamic vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste. Discard herb sprigs, garlic and bay leaf.
3. Broil the French bread slices in the oven until well toasted. Rub with discarded garlic and some olive oil if desired prior to toasting.
4. Arrange 4 oven safe bowls on a cookie sheet, fill with onion soup. In each bowl place a slice of toasted French bread and top with 1 slice of Swiss and 2 slices of provolone cheese.
5. Broil in the oven for several minutes until cheese is bubbly and golden.
Serve right away, but be careful cuz it’s HOT!!
I’d love to hear what you think if you give my recipe a try.